Category: Animal Control

Question: Pet Licensing?
Answer: Hampton Municipal Code requires owners license their dogs and cats (indoor or outdoor pets) at City Hall annually. Proof of current rabies vaccination must be provided to City Hall to register dogs and cats.
******* Fees: $5.00/Year; $3.00/Year if spayed or neutered
******* Failure to License your pet may result in citation with fine.

Question: Leash/confinement regulations for dogs & cats?
Answer: Hampton Municipal Code prohibits dogs and cats from running at large (outside the boundaries of owner's property line) without leash secured by capable individual. Dogs and cats should be penned or chained within the boundaries of the owner's or attendant's property line (unable to reach public sidewalks) to avoid being cited for violations.
********** Violations should be reported to the Hampton Police Department 641-456-2529. Dogs and cats at large that are captured may be confiscated for confinement at the City animal pound at the owner's expense.

Question: Unprovoked attacks/bites by dogs or cats?
Answer: Unprovoked attacks or bites by someone's dog or cat should be reported immediately to the Hampton Police Department for proper investigation of the animal's vaccination status and possible classification as vicious.

Category: Cemetery
Question: Rules & Regulations for Memorial Day decorations?
Answer: Rules & Regulations specific to policies for Memorial Day decorations at the cemetery are available in the "Documents" section of this website.

Category: City Council & Mayor Info
Question: Who are Hampton's elected officials?
Answer: Mayor: Brook Boehmler (Term expires 2015) Ward I: Valerie Haugebak (Term expires 2015) Ward II: Jim Davies (Term expires 2017) Ward III: Dyanne Pralle (Term expires 2015) Ward IV: Jay Hickman (Term expires 2017) At Large: Steve Harms (Term expires 2015) At Large: Dick Lukensmeyer (Term expires 2017) Contact info for each official is available in this website's Officials section. If you are not certain of the Ward in which you reside, contact the Franklin County Auditor's office, (641)456-5622.

Question: When & where are City Council regular sessions and workshops held?
Answer: The Hampton City Council holds their regular session meetings in the City Council Chambers on the 2nd & 4th Thursdays of each month at 6:00 p.m. (In the event of holiday or other scheduling conflicts, the meetings may be set for alternate dates in advance.)The City Council holds workshops in the City Council Chambers on the Mondays prior to the regular sessions at 6:00 p.m. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend these sessions and workshops to offer input and be better informed on City issues.

Category: Code Enforcement
Question: Regulations regarding private Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs?
Answer: Hampton City Code includes the International Property Maintenance Code, which addresses regulations for Swimming Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs. See "Public Documents" section of this website under Code Enforcement for Property Maintenance Code, Section 303.

Question: Fence, hedge & wall placement requirements?
Answer: Placement of fences, hedges and walls on private property requires the approval of Zoning Permit Application by the Code Enforcement Officer. Zoning Permits require no fees, but must be submitted for approval with a site map of the property and proposed project in advance of construction or planting. Applications are available at City Hall, or checking "Public Documents" section of this website to print the form.

Question: Municipal Infraction Fines/Penalties?
Answer: Fines/Penalties related to municipal infractions are payable at the office of the Franklin County Clerk of Court, on the second floor of the Courthouse, 12 1st Avenue NW, P.O. Box 28, Hampton, IA 50441-0028 [Phone: 641-456-5626] ************** Take note of court date listed on the citation to avoid court action for failure to appear.

Question: Civil or Criminal Penalties?
Answer: Any violation of the Hampton Housing Code/International Property Maintenance Code shall be punishable as a Simple Misdemeanor or may be charged as a Municipal Infraction. If charged as a Municipal Infraction, the following schedule of Civil Penalties shall apply: 1. 1st Offense - $100.00 2. 2nd Offense - $250.00 3. 3rd Offense - $500.00 4. 4th Offense - $750.00 Each and every day that a violation of said Ordinance occurs is a separate infraction or violation and may be charged as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th Offense accordingly.

Category: Harriman Park Shelters
Question: Rental Info for Harriman Park Shelters?
Answer: Reservations for Harriman Park Shelters may be made up to six months in advance of the reservation month. Open shelters (#1-5, & #7) require a signed rental agreement and $25 deposit to secure the site & access to locked restrooms. Shelter #6 reservations require a signed rental agreement and $150 fee (includes $100 deposit). Amenities: 7 round 60" tables, 2 rectangular serving tables, 60 chairs, refrigerator, oven/stove & double sink. Heated & Air Conditioned. Restrooms accessible by separate locked entrances. Keys must be picked up day of reservation (Fridays for weekend reservations) at City Hall, 122 1st Ave NW. Arrangements may be made in advance for key pick-up at the Police Dept. Deposit refundable upon satisfactory inspection of site and return of key(s). RESERVATIONS CANNOT BE SECURED WITHOUT SIGNED RENTAL AGREEMENT AND PAYMENT OF FEES. See Parks brochure in "Points of Interest" section of this website.

Category: Law Enforcement
Question: Fine payments?
Answer: Parking Fines are payable at the Hampton Police Department.
*********** Traffic/Moving Violation Fines are payable at Franklin County Clerk of Court office in the Courthouse. Phone: 641-456-5626
************** Take note of court date listed on citations to avoid court action for failure to appear.

Question: Non-emergency reporting?
Answer: Hampton Police Department: 641-456-2529 Franklin County Sheriff's Office: 641-456-2731 [911 FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY, PLEASE.]

Question: Does the Police Department unlock vehicles?
Answer: Due to the potential damage which could result to mechanical and electrical systems in door locks on vehicles, the Hampton Police Department does NOT provide this service. In the event you are locked out of your vehicle, contact the Hampton Police Department, (641)456-2529, for area locksmiths able to serve you.

Question: Parking Regulations?
Answer: Parking regulations for the City of Hampton are listed in the City Code of Ordinances, Chapter 69. (See "Documents" or "Law Enforcement" sections of this website for more details.)

Question: Nuisance properties, junk & junk vehicles enforcement?
Answer: Properties with accumulations of junk, debris, junk vehicles and/or other defined nuisance problems may be reported to the Hampton Police Department for abatement procedures.
See Chapters 50 & 51 of the Hampton Code of Ordinances in the "Documents" section of this website for details.

Category: Licensing
Question: Pet Licensing?
Answer: Hampton Municipal Code requires owners license their dogs and cats (indoor or outdoor pets) at City Hall annually. Proof of current rabies vaccination must be provided to City Hall to register dogs and cats. ******* Fees: $5.00/Year; $3.00/Year if spayed or neutered ******* Failure to License your pet may result in citation with fine.

Question: Bicycle Licensing?
Answer: Hampton City Code requires one-time registration and licensing fee ($2.00) by the current owner of a bicycle.
See "Law Enforcement" section of this website for additional details.

Question: Vehicle/Trailer Licensing?
Answer: Licensing of vehicles and trailers must be processed at the Franklin County Treasurer's Office, 12 1st Avenue NW, Hampton, IA 50441. [Phone: 641-456-5678] - Located on the second floor of the Courthouse.

Question: Driver's Licensing?
Answer: Driver's licensing is processed by the Franklin County Treasure's Office, 12 1st Avenue NW, Hampton, IA 50441. [Phone: 641-456-5678] - Located on the second floor of the courthouse.

Question: Who do I contact for Street Light malfunction?
Answer: If you observe a street light that's not lit at night, goes off and on, or is continuously lit, it should be reported to MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632. Be prepared to give their dispatcher a specific address for the repair ticket.
EXCEPTION: Problems with the Vintage Lights in the business district should be reported to City Hall during business hours 456-4853 (M-F, 8am-5pm), or the Hampton Police Department after hours 456-2529.

Category: Property Maintenance
Question: Mowing Requirements?
Answer: Properties in developed RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL zones must maintain grass & weeds to a length no more than six (6) inches to avoid action by the City. This includes parcels with occupied and vacant structures, as well as vacant lots. It is the responsibility of the PROPERTY OWNER to see that the property is properly maintained.

Question: Garbage hauling & recycling options?
Answer: The City of Hampton has three licensed waste haulers servicing residential and commercial customers. These services must be established privately by the customer. See "Hampton Recycles" in the Documents section of this website for more detailed information regarding recycling and other waste disposal regulations.

Question: Dumpster use in residential zones?
Answer: Use of dumpsters in residential zones is restricted to a 30-day period, which must be registered at City Hall in advance of a dumpster being delivered to a residential property. Dumpsters in these areas may be used for general property clean up, construction, roofing or remodeling; not allowed for household garbage storage for diposal. NO FEES associated with dumpster permit. Licensed haulers for dumpster services include: Absolute Waste Disposal, Bell Sanitation & Recycling, D&L Sanitation, McDowell & Sons, and Waste Management.

Question: Snow removal requirements on public sidewalks?
Answer: City Code requires property owners to clear snow and ice from public sidewalks on their property within 24 hours. This includes occupied homes, businesses, vacant properties and lots with public sidewalks. Those who are unable to clear the sidewalks themselves must make arrangements for such services to avoid penalties and the expense of City abatement and administrative fees. Pushing or dumping snow onto city streets and alleys from sidewalks and/or driveways is prohibited, according to City Code.

Category: Public Assets
Question: Compost/Brush Site Hours & Seasonal Schedule?
Answer: Mondays & Saturdays 8am-6:30pm Wednesdays & Fridays 2pm-6:30pm (Weather Permitting) Closing times change to 5:00pm after daylight savings time expires. Holiday Closings include Good Friday, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day & Veterans Day.

Question: Compost/Brush Site Restrictions?
Answer: (See Compost/Brush Site Brochure) Yard & garden waste (leaves, grass, weeds, branches, plants, vegetables) will be accepted. NO plastic, glass, metal, lumber, rubber, furniture, paper, cardboard, tires, cement, garbage or processed food permitted. Plastic bags or containers used for hauling must be removed by the customer. Tree limbs & logs must be no larger than 18" diameter and separated from compost and placed on the brush pile. NO SMOKING PERMITTED beyond gate entrance. Allowed items from within Hampton city limits accepted free of charge. Items from outside city limits subject to fee schedule.

Question: Compost & Brush Site Hours?
Answer: Weather permitting, the following schedule is followed during Daylight Savings Time: Mondays & Saturdays 8:00 AM - 6:30 PM Wednesdays & Fridays 2:00 PM - 6:30 PM Site closes at 5:00 PM when Daylight Savings Time ends. Holiday Closings: Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veterans Day & Friday after Thanksgiving. More details available in the "Documents" section of this website, under General Info & Brochures.

Question: City Hall Hours?
Answer: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Holiday Closings: New Years Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving & Friday after, & Christmas. (If one of the above holidays falls on a weekend, the Friday before or Monday following is substituted.) Contact City Hall if you have questions.

Question: City Council Regular Sessions?
Answer: Regular Sessions of the Hampton City Council are held on the second and fourth Thursdays of each month at 6:00 p.m. These meetings are open to the public and held in City Council Chambers behind City Hall.

Question: City Council Workshops?
Answer: The City Council holds workshops on the Mondays prior to its regular sessions (2nd & 4th Thursdays) at 6:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers. The public is welcome to attend.

Category :Utilities
Question: How is a Water/Sewer service account established?
Answer: A Water/Sewer service account is established by contacting City Hall. No meter deposit is required of property owners; however, tenants must submit a deposit of $150 to establish the account in their name and have bills sent to their mailing address. Deposits remain on file until such time the tenant moves outside Hampton city limits or becomes the owner of the serviced property in Hampton. Rental property accounts remain in the landlord's name until a deposit is submitted by the tenant.

Question: Water/Sewer Rates/Billing?
Answer: Water Flat Rate: $8.40 per month (Included in every account with water access, whether water is used or not.) Water Cost per Gallon: Tier 1 - Next 1,500 gallons for $0.00560/gallon Tier 2 - Next 4,000 gallons for $0.004/gallon Tier 3 - Next 60,000 gallons for $0.00255/gallon Tier 4 - Over 65,000 gallons for $0.00160/gallon (For actual cost/gallon, multiply gallons consumed by cost/gallon in appropriate tier, then add totals from each tier to calculate bill.) Water Tax: 7% Sewer Flat Rate: $22.36 per month (Included in every account with sewer access, whether sewer is used or not.) Sewer Cost per Gallon: Tier 1 - 0-15,000 gallons for $0.00174/gallon Tier 2 - Over 15,000 gallons for $0.00149/gallon Sewer Tax: 7% (Sewer gallons & water gallons are always equal. Gallons used should be multiplied in appropriate tier and added together to determine sewer bill that's added to water bill.) Landfill Flat Rate: Residential Property - $1.35/month Commercial Property - $2.10/month Industrial Property - $3.60/month Compost Flat Rate: $0.75/month Residential Monthly Bill (No Usage - Main access only) Water (Flat Rate) $8.40 Sales Tax (7%) $.59 Sewer (Flat Rate) $22.36 Landfill Levy $1.35 Compost Fee $.75 TOTAL MONTHLY BASE RATE: $33.45

Question: High water usage possible causes?
Answer: Possible clues to higher water consumption: Seeping valves in toilets, washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters and other fixtures or equipment connected to waterlines. Water softener cycles may need resetting. Check for leaking pipes or fittings and make sure outside faucet(s) are shut off completely and not dripping. Water leak tests: Stop water usage for one hour. Document meter reading at beginning & end of that hour. If meter advances without usage, a leak is confirmed and should be further investigated. Flush toilet once, and after tank has refilled, add several drops of dark food coloring into tank. Wait several minutes, then check toilet bowl for changed water color. If color has transferred into bowl without flushing, tank ball or flapper needs to be adjusted or replaced. Toilet that needs the handle jiggled after flushing is also an indication of a source of excess usage and need for repairs. Water usage also tends to be higher during summer months; more activity in homes with school-aged children, watering of lawns & plants, car washing, more frequent bathing & swimming pools.

Question: When are Water/Sewer bills due?
Answer: PAYMENTS DUE ON THE 20TH. OF EACH MONTH. Water/Sewer bills are mailed out at the first of each month for usage from previous mid-month back approximately 30 days. Balance not paid by the 20th of the month are subject to the penalty listed on your bill. If balance is unpaid by the 25th of the month, a Reminder Notice is mailed out, with a payment deadline (Disconnect Date). Once an account has been disconnected, due to delinquency, service will not restored until the delinquent balance and a $50 reconnect fee are paid in full.

Question: Water/Sewer bill payment options?
Answer: Water/Sewer bills may be paid by cash, check, money order or ACH (see below)at City Hall, 122 1st Avenue NW, Hampton, IA 50441. Payments may be made in person, by mail, or placed in payment drop by City Hall's entrance. PLEASE INCLUDE REMITTANCE PORTION OF YOUR BILL WITH PAYMENT TO HELP ACCURATE CREDITING OF YOUR ACCOUNT. City Hall Hours: M-F, 8am-5pm Automatic Check (ACH) agreements are available upon request, which require customer signature and voided check or copy of check or savings account document from banking institution of customer's choosing. The City does not charge a fee for this service, but the customer to should check with their bank on any service charges that might be accessed to their bank account. City Hall is not equipped to process payments by debit or credit card.

Question: Why is there a penalty on my water/sewer bill?
Answer: All water bills show a penalty amount that will be assessed if full payment is NOT PAID by the 20th of the month.
If you combine the lesser amount due on your water bill with the penalty amount shown, it will equal the higher amount due AFTER the 20th of the month.

Question: Under what circumstances does the City disconnect water?
Answer: The City disconnects water service for the following reasons: 1) Past due accounts after Reminder Notice deadline has expired ($50 Reconnect Fee also assessed); 2) Upon request of property owner so repairs can be made; 3) Upon request of property owner for seasonal or temporary vacancy of residence ($10 reconnect fee to re-establish service); 4) Upon request by landlord for rental properties vacated or involving tenant disputes ($10 reconnect fee to re-establish service) 5) Scheduled water main repairs (advanced notice of at least 24 hours is given to occupants of affected properties; 5)Emergency disconnects are necessary without warning if a water main requires immediate repair (the City gives notice via local radio & makes every effort to restore water service as quickly as possible). DISCONNECTS RELATED TO DELINQUENT ACCOUNTS ARE RESTORED UPON CITY HALL'S RECEIPT OF PAST DUE AMOUNT, PLUS $50 RECONNNECT FEE. NO OVERTIME BEYOND 4PM WEEKDAYS OR WEEKENDS WILL BE AUTHORIZED FOR RECONNECTION OF SERVICE OF A PAST DUE ACCOUNT.

Question: How much is the RECONNECT FEE for water service?
Answer: If water service has been disconnected due to delinquent payment, the reconnect fee is $50.00, payable at City Hall with the delinquent balance by 3:30 pm to have service restored on the day of payment. ************* Reconnect Fee for disconnection at owner's request for temporary/seasonal vacancy is $10.00. ************* Disconnection of water service for the purpose of REPAIRS will be restored at no charge.